Special Events Assistant Director
Job no: 492388
Department: Special Events Office
The Davidson College Special Events Office in College Relations seeks high energy, extremely organized, and time-line driven individual for its Assistant Director of Special Events position. The basic function and responsibility of the Assistant Director is to plan, coordinate and produce donor and alumni events for the College Relations division. The Assistant Director will be required to manage multiple projects concurrently with a high level of accuracy in a deadline-driven environment. This includes basic event budgeting, tracking and reconciling. This person should be able to work well under pressure, multi-task, and maintain a commitment to professional ethics and confidentiality. This person needs to be a self-starter, self-supporting and demonstrate good independent judgment abilities and initiative at all times. This person must have a deep dedication to customer service, must be collaborative and work well as part of a small team. He or she must also possess excellent communication skills and be comfortable working with internal and external constituencies as well as diverse groups of people.
- Coordinate 35-40 individual and multi day events annually. For these events, the Assistant Director will be the primary point person, independently arranging event needs and working closely with on and off campus vendors (including, but not limited to, linen rental companies, florists, caterers/dining services, tech services, campus police and physical plant). The Assistant Director will be the primary staff member in charge of set up, take down and execution.
- Supervise the Special Events Fellow and student workers. Provide leadership and guidance in daily work and performance management, as well as encourage professional development and growth.
- Assist the Director in coordination of larger donor and presidential level events where needed. Collaborate with Director and other staff to develop creative event themes and decor.
- Act as primary point person with on-campus catering. Organize biweekly meetings, set agenda and provide follow-up notes to ensure seamless transition for each event.
- Utilize computer-based software to design floor plans and create elevated event materials, including menus and decorations for each event.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum three years' experience in direct event planning experience or a closely related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- The ability to manage a high volume of projects with competing deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work seamlessly with numerous internal and external college constituencies.
- Superior attention to detail, and also the ability to understand and appreciate big-picture program development.
- Well-developed leadership, strong organizational skills and self-motivated.
- Comfortable working within limited budgets while managing, building and tracking them.
- Strong editorial skills. Needs to be able to both write and edit effectively and efficiently.
- Willingness to learn Davidson College's event database systems, CAD drawing system, Adobe illustrator and Publisher.
- Ability to work and develop relationships with individuals with a wide range of job responsibilities and skill sets.
Please provide a resume and cover letter with your application by Feb 28, 2017. In addition, please attach a separate document answering the following three questions:
- Of all the events you have coordinated, which are you most proud of and why? Please include details about the event.
- Provide an example of when you had to use a budget creatively to successfully execute an event.
- Please write a one-paragraph proposal for a group of alumni returning to campus to celebrate a reunion.
Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, that has graduated 23 Rhodes Scholars and is consistently ranked in the top ten liberal arts colleges in the country. Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend