DIGITAL LEARNING FELLOW: 2017-2018
Technology & Innovation - Davidson College
The Davidson College Fellows Program has an opening for the position of Digital Learning Fellow. The Fellow will assist the ITS Digital Innovation and Engagement Teams build, launch and run digital courses and resources on behalf of Davidson College. Current students or 2016 graduates with an interest in innovation, digital learning technologies, R&D in education, and entrepreneurship in general are encouraged to apply. This is a regular, full-time, one or two year appointment. Position is salaried. New employee paid by direct deposit to the financial institution of his/her choice.
Are you passionate about the role of technology in teaching, learning and scholarship? Do you want to join a team that's focused on R&D, innovation, and reimagining itself as part of a shared aspiration of reimagining the liberal arts? Interested in joining our team? We're an energetic and fun-loving bunch who are deeply committed to our core values of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability, as well as to achieving excellence in cultural diversity.
The Digital Learning Fellow will serve as the main coordinator and builder of Davidson's digital learning projects, which serve both internal and external audiences. . S/he will lead the day-to-day operations and maintenance of Davidson Next, a collaboration among Davidson College, The College Board and edX to build high-quality digital learning modules for high school Advanced Placement (AP) courses on the edX platform. Other digital learning projects include, but are not limited to, edX MOOCs (like Davidson Now) and professional development courses designed by Davidson faculty in close partnership with external experts/institutions.
S/he will interface daily with Davidson faculty, high school teachers (contributing to or using Davidson Next), instructional designers, web developers, communications leads and other stakeholders. Strong candidates will ideally have experience in both project management and instructional design.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Project Management (40%)
- Develop and manage all project plans and timelines -- including the scheduling and assignment of tasks, setting and managing team member expectations.
- Build courses in edX platform, meeting the project's goals and ensuring high caliber work product that align with Davidson's mission and vision.
- Serve as the main communicator between faculty instructors, stakeholders and members of the course team.
- Work with individuals inside and outside the project teams to develop and implement an external communication plan focused on sharing and championing the project's vision and goals to a larger educational audience.
- Anticipate, analyze, and solve (with ITS leadership) any problems that occur during project development, and ensure timeline or scope is adjusted as needed.
- Handle day-to-day issues in project development.
General Support for Digital Learning (30%)
- Monitor current courses, with specific attention to learner engagement and troubleshooting, metrics and reporting.
- Refresh content and continuously improve as content and edX platform evolves.
- Support teachers, users or partners who are using Davidson content in their classrooms or workplace.
Instructional Design Support (25%)
- Partnering with the Instructional Design team, contribute to projects and work with digital learning components. Examples include, but are not limited to: Davidson Domains and Digital Learning Research & Development (DLRD) projects.
Research and Planning for Digital Learning (5%)
- Keep up with best practices and trends in the digital learning space.
- As part of this fellowship, you will have the opportunity to attend at least one professional development conference or training in this field.
This position requires a detail-oriented, strategic thinker who will bring a passion for experimentation and digital learning to ITS@Davidson, as well as be:
- Must be a member of the Davidson College Class of 2016 or 2017.
- Strong problem identification and problem solving skills;
- Proficient at web research;
- Able to work independently and in collaboration
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Experience with programming, multimedia and web development
- Understanding and experience with design thinking methodology
- Experience taking online courses or MOOCs
Please submit a current resume and cover letter with your application.