Dining Service Supervisor – Vail Commons
Davidson College has an immediate opportunity for a Supervisor in its Dining Service operation.
Vail Commons is the primary dining facility on campus, serving three meals per day, including weekends, for the students, guests, staff, faculty, and summer programs of the College. The Supervisor will oversee those who serve food, make deli sandwiches and pizzas to order, maintain the salad bar and other serving stations. The supervisor will also oversee the dish room staff that washes and stores dishes, cooking pans and utensils used during meal service.
Applicants must be able to work a flexible schedule. The dining hall schedules staff according to the needs of the students, summer programs and various events. Work schedules are not fixed as they rotate from week to week. Evening and weekend shifts are mandatory. The facility operates on a reduced schedule in the summer and is generally closed during holiday breaks. Therefore there are periods of down time when work is not available. Examples of these include winter holiday break and spring break.
The two shifts that supervisors normally work during the academic year are 6:00 am – 3:00 pm or 10:00 am – 9:00 pm. These hours with change during the summer based on the anticipated level of business from summer programs. Dining Services provides complimentary meals to staff during their work shifts.
Basic Function –
These basic duties include supervision of employees in a fast paced and excellence focused food service operation. Requires a highly motivated hands on and committed professional who is a team player and desirous of meeting and maintaining high unit standards. Must have good judgment and problem solving skills.
Essential Functions –
- Manager on Duty for schedules shifts
- Supervision of Staff – Monitoring the individual performance of employees under their care. Will assist in employee’s evaluations, progressive discipline and proper documentation of all performance issues.
- Teach, coach, and motivate employees on a daily basis while maintaining high standards and leading by example.
- Have a commitment to fast and friendly service. Be responsive to customer needs, speed of service and quality of product.
- Must have positive attitude and ability to work under pressure.
- Works special events as necessary.
- Ensures that all College and departmental policies and procedures are followed, and standards met.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in time management to balance time between floor supervision, administration, employee training, and communicating/interaction with customers.
- Ability to resolve conflict in a professional manner. Must have the ability to work with others and to take and give direction.
- Ensures product is rotated properly to minimize waste and serve a quality product.
- Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Excellent organizational and customer service skills required. Ability to multi-task with proven accuracy focusing on a large volume of details.
- Respect all team members and their contributions to the tasks at hand. Work harmoniously with co-workers and other departmental staff.
- A commitment to exceed all sanitation guidelines and Health Department policies.
Working Conditions –
Kitchen environment with exposure to sharp utensils, stoves, ovens, fryers, steam tables & dishwashing equipment; ability to lift 20-50 pounds; exposure to hot/cold areas, hazardous chemicals or cleaning solutions & danger of slippery floors or work areas. Staff are required to provide their own work pants and non-slip shoes, Dining Services will provide shirts for staff.
Required Qualifications -
High school degree or equivalent and 3 years’ experience in a quality food service environment required. Requires good organizational skills, ability to communicate well verbally and in writing. Requires a highly motivated hands on and committed professional who is a team player and seeks to meet and maintain high unit standards. Must have good judgment and problem solving skills. Prior supervisory experience is required. Basic computer skills required, including use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, some Excel and researching on the internet.
Apply online at http://employment.davidson.edu and attach a current resume.
Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.