Departmental Operations Assistant
Job no: 492737
Department: ITS - Core Services
The Departmental Operations Specialist enables the CIO, Technology & Innovation (T&I) leadership team, and overall department to be more efficient and effective by creating the capacity for them to focus on strategic initiatives. In particular, this position supports multiple operational areas, including departmental procurement, accounts payable, and budget management; leadership team scheduling and travel; event planning and logistics; inventory and supply management; and special projects. S/he must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple priorities at once, handle confidential information discretely, quickly learn new technology, and work collegially with constituents at all levels in a diverse environment. Strong attention to detail is required, and experience supporting purchasing, budget and other financial functions is strongly preferred.
As a member of the T&I team, the Departmental Operations Specialist is expected to uphold the department’s mission to “drive digital transformation that advances Davidson’s primary purpose” and contribute positively to a culture of collaboration, transparency, empathy, innovation, and accountability within T&I.
This position works a part-time schedule (20 hours/week). The intended schedule is mornings, Monday through Friday; however, we can be flexible with the successful candidate to select a different permanent schedule, as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Budget & Purchasing Support (65%)
- Monitor and validate T&I budgeted funds and spending in multiple operational spending areas, working with managers and staff to ensure that T&I makes effective use of College funds, maintains accurate records, and complies with department and Davidson financial processes
- Receive, validate and process all incoming invoices, including entry of all invoices into Davidson financial systems (Banner, OnBase, etc.)
- Receive all purchase orders from T&I staff; validate PO information and enter POs into College financial systems
- Work with Business Services to add or update vendor records in College financial systems
- Work with vendors, T&I staff, and Davidson staff to address any problems with order receipt, receipt of payment, shipping/fulfillment problems, etc.
- Code and validate all departmental purchasing card transactions; ensure T&I staff are aware of purchasing card policies and deadlines, and assist staff in making sure purchases are coded to department standards
- Provide back-up for Budget & Procurement Manager when s/he is unavailable
Departmental Administrative Support (35%)
- Assist in coordinating special events that T&I hosts or co-hosts, including arranging meeting space, making travel arrangements, and working with the catering office
- Inventory and maintain records on office supplies and breakroom materials, re-ordering as needed
- Maintain inventory supplies for IT operational areas, including ensuring appropriate levels and ordering supplies as needed, including for printer/lab operations, desktop support/network consumables, etc.
- Assist in coordinating logistics for job candidates, including scheduling job candidates for remote and on-site interview sessions, assisting with candidate travel, etc.
- Assist the CIO and T&I leadership team with administrative requests including event/conference registration, travel booking, and coordinating meetings
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- At least one year’s experience supporting accounting or financial administrative functions, including one or more of the following: accounts receivable, procurement/purchase orders, budget management and/or inventory functions.
- Ability to complete record-keeping and financial work, including data/document entry, with strong attention to detail and high accuracy.
- Proficiency with common computer applications, including Windows or Apple operating systems, Microsoft Office/Excel (or cloud alternatives, like Google Sheets), and Dropbox or similar cloud file storage. Knowledge of document management and accounting/enterprise financial systems also helpful.
- Good customer service skills, including the ability to establish positive working relationships with a wide range of people within a diverse academic community.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage competing priorities.
Desired Skills and Abilities
- Experience working in higher education and knowledge of the campus community.
- Experience creating and analyzing budget and other types of reports.
Davidson College is a highly selective, independent liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina, that has graduated 23 Rhodes Scholars and is consistently ranked in the top ten liberal arts colleges in the country. Faculty of Davidson College enjoy a low student-faculty ratio, emphasis on and appreciation of excellence in teaching, and a collegial, respectful atmosphere that honors academic achievement and integrity. Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, members of minority groups, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend