The Alvarez Director of International Student Programs will coordinate and oversee efforts to engage and support international students at Davidson College. Working with an Assistant Director and part-time administrative support, the Alvarez Director of International Student Programs will collaborate with colleagues in Admission, Academic Affairs, Career Development, and Student Life and with faculty, alumni, and other partners who are committed to the holistic education and success of international students. Davidson currently enrolls 2,000 students, including 121 students from 50 countries outside of the United States.
The Director will serve as PDSO in SEVIS and be responsible for timely reporting required by the Department of Homeland Security. The Director will supervise visa-related advising and services for international students, and provide training regarding F-1 visa regulations, policies and procedures to campus partners as necessary. The Director will be an accessible campus leader whose priorities are: establishing and maintaining relationships with international students; collaborating with other offices that engage international students and helping adapt institutional practices to meet international students’ needs; overseeing the coordination of programming for international students, including international student orientation and the host family program; managing endowed grant programs that support international student travel, internships and immersive experiences; and cultivating connections with alumni, faculty and campus partners in order to help international students thrive. Specific responsibilities are listed below.
The Director will arrive at Davidson at an exciting time: the College has just announced a generous donation that provides international students funding for internships or immersive experiences related to their studies or potential career aspirations, in addition to other services to prepare international students to accomplish their postgraduate goals.
The Director should be knowledgeable of emerging trends and current events that affect international students and impact higher education internationalization efforts. The Alvarez Director of International Student Programs is a full-time, 40-hours per week, 12 months per year, salaried position that reports to the Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students.
- Serve as PDSO, the primary SEVIS officer for the college. Ensure that college-issued immigration documents comply with federal immigration policies. Maintain the college’s I-17.
- Oversee and facilitate CPT and OPT advising and application processing.
- Lead the development and implementation of high quality international student advising and international student services, including but not limited to pre-arrival communication and mailings; assistance obtaining government identification; guidance about work authorization and campus employment; tax education and preparation; general counseling, support and referral (cultural adjustment, etc.); and emergency response, as needed.
- Supervise an Assistant Director of International Student Programs and a part-time program assistant.
- Administer the Alvarez Access Program, which provides financial support for curricular and career experiences for international students. Collaborate with pre-major advisors and Career Development to launch this initiative. Provide comprehensive advising to ensure all international students have opportunities to thrive while at Davidson and in their professional lives once they graduate.
- Oversee other grants for international students, including the Meet My World grant, which gives international students the opportunity to share their home country and culture with a friend from the United States, and other privately funded travel grants for international students. Oversee the promotion of these opportunities, information sessions, assemble a review committee, collect applications, select recipients, disperse funds, collect data, assess the program, etc.
- Develop and oversee programming for international students, including: international student orientation; educational workshops and cultural and social events during the academic year; activities and options for international students during holidays and college breaks; and the Host Family Program, and recruiting host families, matching students to families and planning of events.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A minimum of a Master’s degree in international education, higher education, or a related field, is required. Experience with SEVIS and knowledge of policies and procedures regarding F-1 immigration are also required. Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident in order to serve as a designated school official. Additional requirements include: proven experience (at least three years) in program development, implementation, evaluation and management; ability to relate effectively to college-aged students and to faculty and staff; and ability to work independently and collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff and other community partners. Desired qualifications include: fluency in a language other than English; strong intercultural communication skills; and demonstrated ability to relate to diverse cultures and areas of academic interests.
If interested in applying, please go to http://employment.davidson.edu and submit an online application along with a cover letter and resume. Deadline for application submission is September 24, 2018.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.